Rec League Rules
SPYB LEAGUE RULES 2018-2019 ⬅️ Click here to download and print rules. Rules are presented below as well.
SPYB LEAGUE RULES 2018-2019
(All Coaches, Parents and Players Should Read the SPYB League Rules Carefully)
A. Players must be registered with South Plymouth Youth Basketball (SPYB)
B. Players must be in approved SPYB uniforms, which include league issued jersey, no pants, no black soled shoes, no hats or jewelry.
A. Divisions are divided based on school grade.
The Developmental League consists of players in grades K, 1 and 2.
The Junior Division consists of players in grades 3 and 4.
The Intermediate Division consists of players in grades 5 and 6.
The Senior Division consists of players in grades 7 and 8.
RULES OF PLAY
A. Time: Games will consist of 4, 8 minute quarters, running time; the last 2 minutes of the game will be stop time. Clock will not stop if lead is 15 points or greater for intermediate and senior division, 10 points for junior division. Clock will not stop for substitutions. Overtime will consist of 2 minutes of stop time. Each team shall have 1, 30 second time-out per half and one additional time out for each overtime no carry overs. The Half Time break will be 1 minute.
B. Minimum Play: Each player must play at least 8 minutes of the first half and 8 minutes of the second half. Games will consist of 4 eight minute quarters and subs every 4 minutes. Coaches will have 10 seconds to make substitutions before the ball becomes live.
CLOCK WILL NOT STOP DURING SUBSTITUTIONS.
No player will be allowed to play more than 2 four minute segments in a row unless you have 7 players or less, then you are allowed to play 3 four minute segments in a row and if you have 6 players then you can play 4 four minute segments in a row. Furthermore, No player will be allowed to sit for 2 four minute segments in a row. In addition, if a team has 7 or more players every player must sit at least twice and never sit twice in a row. If a team has 6 players every player must sit at least 1 time and never sit twice in a row. The only way a player should play the whole game is if a team has only 5 players. Failure to sit a player during a game with more than 5 players will result in a game forfeit and 1 game suspension of the coach.
1. Developmental League (K, 1 and 2.) Only Man to Man defense is allowed. No team will press at anytime. No doubling teaming outside of the key.
2. Junior Division (3rd & 4th) Only Man to Man Defense is allowed and defense can only be played on an offensive player when the player reaches the 3 point arc. Double teams are allowed inside the 3 point line. However, The last 2 minutes of the game, Full Court Press is allowed and zone defense can be played. Furthermore, No full court press allowed by any team leading by 10 points or more. Note: If game goes to overtime the rules of the last 2 minutes of game apply.
3. Intermediate Division (5th & 6th) and Senior Division (7th & 8th) Only Man to Man defense is allowed. No defense can be played on an offensive player until the player crosses the half court line. Press and zone defense is allowed during the last 8 minutes of the game. No press is allowed by any team leading by 15 or more point. Note: If game goes to overtime the rules of the last 8 minutes of game apply.
Illegal defense definition: Defensive player must remain completely out of the key when their man is outside of the 3 point line. If the player they are guarding comes into the 3 point line the defensive player is allowed to enter the paint, players are also allowed to enter the paint when ball enters the paint. First violation will result in a warning. Second will result in 1 free throw for offensive team and retain possession of the ball. Third violation will result in a technical foul to the coach of defensive team (2 shots and retain possession). Any additional violation will result in technical foul for violating player or players and coach (4 shots and retain possession).
E. Fouls Players will shoot 1 and 1 on the 7th Team Foul of the half. The double bonus (2 free throws) will be given on the 10th team foul of the half. Players in 3 older divisions will be removed from the game on the 5th personal foul. Flagrant, break-away and intentional fouls will result in 2 free throws plus possession.
F. Technical Fouls As the SPYB is a Zero Tolerance League, the following rules will apply to technical fouls:
1. Fighting by a player or coach: In addition to the technical foul, the player or coach will be removed from the game in which the fight took place, and shall be issued a two-game suspension. A second offense will result in the immediate suspension from the league for the remainder of the season.
2. Profane Language by a Player or Coach: In the sole discretion of the game official, such conduct will result in a technical foul.
3. Abusive Language by a Player or Coach: In the sole discretion of the game official will result in a technical foul and ejection from the game.
4. Any Act Intended to Harm Another Individual: Is the sole discretion of the game official will result in a technical foul and immediate ejection from the game and suspension from the next scheduled game. If a player is ejected the coach is required to inform the Division Director of the incident. If a suspended player plays in a game in which he or she was suspended the game will be forfeited, and the coach suspended for that game.
5. Any coach removed from a game for any of the above reasons will result in his team’s forfeit of that game.
6. Any coach who receives 2 technical fouls in a season will be removed from the league.
1. BOTH teams are responsible for submitting the game score to the league within 24 hours after the conclusion of the game.
2. League officials will assign 1-2 adults to the scorer’s table for each game. No minors will be allowed to work the scorer’s tables without an adult assistant.
3. Teams and coaches will clean bench of all trash at the conclusion of their games. We also must ensure the entire gym is 100% clean at the conclusion of our last game of the evening.
4. Any rule or situation not addressed by these rules will be covered by MIAA
Basketball Rules, or by the SPYB League Directors or League Board of Directors.
5. THERE ARE NO BALLS ALLOWED IN THE GYM OTHER THAN GAME BALLS SUPPLIED BY THE OFFICIALS. Games will not occur until all balls are removed from the gym. It is not only a safety issue but is a distraction to officials, coaches and players.
6. PARENTAL SUPERVISION IS A MUST AT ALL TIMES. No child is to be dropped off without a parent or guardian. Children must be supervised in the gym at all times.
7. All players must remain away from team benches and the scorer’s table when they are not playing.
8. NO PARKING IN FIRE LANE!!!!